Planning is responsible for land use planning for all unincorporated Electoral Areas within the TNRD. We also provide planning services for several member municipalities on a contractual basis and support for others with long range planning under the umbrella of our Regional Growth Strategy, Fringe Areas Policy, and other regional planning initiatives.


Zoning is a set of rules that set out how property can be used and developed according to region-wide goals and priorities. Zoning Bylaw 2400 covers the entire unincorporated area of the TNRD. 

For any building or renovation project, we will need to know:

  • What’s the current zoning on your land?
  • Is your proposed building or renovation project permitted?
  • What are the details of the current or proposed zone you want to build within

Planning Applications

The TNRD manages a broad range of land use and development approval processes, including but not limited to: Rezoning, Variance, Temporary Use Permit, Agricultural Land Reserve, Manufactured Home Parks, Campground, Liquor License, Special Events, Heritage Conservation applications, and Subdivision application referrals.

An application to vary a bylaw regulation (vary a condition of use). The Board of Variance (BOV) addresses appeals for minor variances where compliance with the Zoning Bylaw would cause undue hardship. A Development Variance Permit (DVP) application is for significant variances or requests that do not include a hardship rationale.

An application to permit a temporary use on a property for a three year term which may be extended for one additional three year term.

Development Permits (DP) are required for specified areas or lands designated within an Official Community Plan (OCP). A DP helps local government to reinforce OCP policies and objectives for these areas and ensures development respects the vision that the community has established.

Typically, there shall be no more than one single family, one two family dwelling or one manufactured home on any parcel unless expressly permitted in Bylaw 2400. Despite this, there are some exceptions. An Additional Dwelling is a dwelling unit that may be approved under certain conditions on lands at least 4 hectares in area, zoned AF-1, AF-2, RL-1, or SH-1.

A Temporary Dwelling is a detached or stand-alone dwelling unit in a single-wide CSA Z-240 manufactured home that is to provide care for another person(s) on a temporary basis on a property under certain conditions.

An application to create a new manufactured home park or to extend an existing manufactured home park on parcels zoned for manufactured home park use in accordance with Bylaw 2504.

An application to create a campground or to extend an existing campground on parcels zoned for campground use in accordance with Bylaw 1209. Please contact Planning Services for application Information.

An application for Heritage Conservation in accordance with Bylaw 1786. Please contact Planning Services for application Information.

An application in accordance with the Liquor Control and Licensing Act. Please contact Planning Services for Application Information.

An application for Special Event is processed in accordance with Bylaw 1997.

An application to relax floodplain elevation and/or setback requirements must include a report by a professional engineer or geoscientist (with expertise in geotechnical engineering) certifying that the land may be used safely for the use intended.

Most ALR applications are processed through local government (i.e. TNRD) and then, if approved, they are sent onto the Commission. See the FAQ Sheet below for the process and more information.

The ALR is a Provincial “zone” administered by the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC) with the purpose of protecting and prioritizing agricultural land use. Specific applications are required to undertake non-farm land use, subdivide, exclude, increase density, etc. on lands within the ALR. The ALC or “Commission” is an independent tribunal charged with preserving B.C.’s agricultural land. See our one-page FAQ sheet for more information:

Agricultural Land Reserve FAQ Sheet

Agricultural Land Commission Act Application

Sign up for the TNRD mailing list

Subscribe to get the latest regional news and updates delivered straight to your inbox. Opt in or out anytime.

Scroll to Top