The Board of Directors resolved accept the Regional Housing Needs Report for all TNRD Electoral Areas (except EA “O”) at their regular meeting on February 18, 2021. To view the Housing Needs Report, please see the links below.
Housing Needs Report
Housing Needs Report by Section:
Sub-reports for each EA:
- Electoral Area A
- Electoral Area B
- Electoral Area E
- Electoral Area I
- Electoral Area J
- Electoral Area L
- Electoral Area M
- Electoral Area N
- Electoral Area O
- Electoral Area P
In February of 2020, the TNRD received a $150,000 grant from Union of BC Municipalities as the primary applicant for a regional housing needs report. The project covers Electoral Areas “A”, “B”, “E”, “I”, “J”, “L”, “M”, “N”, and “P” with Clearwater, Sun Peaks, Merritt, Cache Creek, Clinton, and Logan Lake as partnering municipalities. The TNRD provides the overall grant management under the UBCM program.
Housing needs reports require the following steps:
- Collect information to identify current and projected housing needs;
- Prepare and publish an online housing needs report which shows current and projected housing needs for at minimum the next five years; and
- Consider this information and the housing needs report when amending official community plans and regional growth strategies.
The engagement process was a key component of the Thompson-Nicola Regional District Housing Needs Assessment.
M’akola Development Services was retained to conduct the engagement process with TNRD staff. A variety of engagement events were hosted and conducted, including focus groups, key informant interviews, an online survey, and presenting preliminary findings at council meetings.
Objectives for the engagement process included:
- Collecting data
- Ground truth data findings
- Promoting equity through the engagement process
- Identifying community strengths to inform asset-based recommendations