What’s my Zoning?

Zoning is a set of rules that set out how property can be used and developed according to region-wide goals and priorities.

Zoning is the regulation of land use and development. It tells you what you can do and where you can build on land. TNRD Zoning Bylaw 2400 comprises of text and maps applying to all electoral areas of the region. 

Zoning Bylaw 2400 has >30 zones including various rural, resource, residential, commercial,  industrial, and institutional zones. This Zoning Bylaw does not apply to First Nation Reserve or incorporated municipalities.

Given the large geographic area of the region, we use a computerized Geographic Information System (GIS) called myRegionView, an interactive web-based mapping system you can access online to peruse data “layers” such as road, floodplain, aerial photography, address and zoning information. 

To get started with myRegionView see Using MYRegionView FAQ Sheet. If you do not have access to the internet, call the TNRD at 250-377-8673 or email planning@tnrd.ca and we will assist you. 

Once you have confirmed your property zone, you will have to refer to the Zoning Bylaw text for the particulars. You can view and download Zoning Bylaw 2400 here.  

The 100+ page Bylaw must be read as a whole, acknowledging that you may wish to start with the text for your zone and Parts 1 to 5. These include “Definitions” and “General Provisions” which are critical to interpreting what you can do/build on your land. Your zone typically regulates the following:

  • Parcel area and dimensions
  • Density (how much you can build or intensity of land use)
  • Building size/height and in some cases servicing requirements
  • Setbacks (distance from buildings to parcel property lines)
  • Building elevation and setback from streams, rivers and lakes

Generally, all our residential zones even in the rural areas allow only one single family dwelling or one two family dwelling (meaning a duplex or a house with a secondary suite).

Detached second dwellings are not permitted on residential parcels but there are some exceptions (BC Building Code and other regulations apply). Contact the TNRD Building Inspection and Planning Services Departments for more information.

There are typically minimum setback requirements, maximum heights, gross floor area limits, etc. Review your zoning to see what your zone requires and permits, then prepare your construction documents and apply for a Building Permit.

Zoning Bylaw 2400 regulates the permitted activities on a property, including home-based business and bed & breakfast operations for residential zones and what kind of businesses in the case of commercial zones.

Subdivision is a complex process. One of the factors governing the potential to subdivide is the required parcel area, which is stipulated in your zone. For example, the RL-1 Zone minimum parcel size is 4 ha (10 acres). See the Subdivision Application FAQ Sheet and before applying, discuss your proposal with Planning Services.

If you need further information, please contact us at 250-377-8673 or email planning@tnrd.ca.

Sign up for the TNRD mailing list

Subscribe to get the latest regional news and updates delivered straight to your inbox. Opt in or out anytime.

Scroll to Top