Building Permits are required for any new construction, alteration, addition or demolition of a structure in all TNRD Electoral Areas. A registered owner or agent for the owner may apply for the building permit. Only complete applications will be accepted for processing. To obtain a TNRD building permit, please contact the TNRD at 250-377-8673. For queries about building permits, contact the TNRD at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-377-8673, or refer to information on this webpage.
The homeowner is responsible for carrying out the work, or having the work carried out, in full accordance with the requirements of the British Columbia Building Code (BCBC) and other applicable regulations.
You must obtain a Building Permit before starting any stage of a project, including demolition or excavation. Prior to occupancy, an inspection is required for an issued Building Permit.
- Construct a new home
- Construct any size of building which serves a habitable use, such as a bunkhouse or tiny home
- Construct a new accessory building such as a garage, well shed or storage shed greater than 20 m2 (215 ft2)
- Construct a new accessory building greater than 55 m2 (592 ft2) within AF-1, RL-1, SH-1 or CR-1 zones
- Construct an addition to an existing building or manufactured home
- Construct a commercial, industrial or public use building
- Undertake any interior work such as partitions, etc.
- Construct a sundeck
- Enclose a porch or roof over a sundeck
- Construct a retaining wall more than 1.2 metres (4 feet) in height
- Move a building
- Locate a manufactured home
- Demolish a building
- Change of occupancy or use of a building or part thereof
Permit applications are received on a first come, first serve basis. We are committed to a 3 to 5 week processing time period for complete applications, dependent on seasonal levels of construction and development.
Every permit is issued upon the condition that the permit shall expire and the rights of the owner under the permit shall terminate if the work authorized by the permit is not commenced within six (6) months or is not completed within three (3) years of the issuance of a permit.
The Building Official may upon expiration of a building permit, grant renewal permits for a period of twelve (12) months each if he or she is satisfied that the construction is progressing at a reasonable rate.