Building Permits are required for any new construction, alteration, addition or demolition of a structure in all TNRD Electoral Areas. A registered owner or agent for the owner may apply for the building permit. Only complete applications will be accepted for processing. To obtain a TNRD building permit, please contact the TNRD at 250-377-8673. For queries about building permits, contact the TNRD at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-377-8673, or refer to information on this webpage.
The homeowner is responsible for carrying out the work, or having the work carried out, in full accordance with the requirements of the British Columbia Building Code (BCBC) and other applicable regulations.
You must obtain a Building Permit before starting any stage of a project, including demolition or excavation. Prior to occupancy, an inspection is required for an issued Building Permit.
BC Energy Step Code
Effective May 1, 2023, a substantial revision to the BC Building Code (BCBC) is in effect for the entire province of B.C. Step 3 of the BC Energy Step Code will typically require a 20% improvement over previous Code minimums when applied to new Part 9 construction, which includes housing and small industrial or commercial buildings. In TNRD Electoral Areas, builders may use the prescriptive alternative to meet Step 3 requirements. Through the prescriptive alternative, Part 9 buildings must meet higher requirements for insulation, use more energy efficient windows and mechanical equipment.
To learn more about the BC Energy Step Code, visit the How It Works webpage. For more information in advance of submitting permit applications, please contact TNRD Building Inspection Services at email@example.com, or 250-377-8673.
Building Permit FAQ
- Construct a new home
- Construct any size of building which serves a habitable use, such as a bunkhouse or tiny home
- Construct a new accessory building such as a garage, well shed or storage shed greater than 20 m2 (215 ft2)
- Construct a new accessory building greater than 55 m2 (592 ft2) within AF-1, RL-1, SH-1 or CR-1 zones
- Construct an addition to an existing building or manufactured home
- Construct a commercial, industrial or public use building
- Undertake any interior work such as partitions, etc.
- Construct a sundeck
- Enclose a porch or roof over a sundeck
- Construct a retaining wall more than 1.2 metres (4 feet) in height
- Move a building
- Locate a manufactured home
- Demolish a building
- Change of occupancy or use of a building or part thereof
Permit applications are received on a first come, first serve basis. We are committed to a 3 to 5 week processing time period for complete applications, dependent on seasonal levels of construction and development.
Every permit is issued upon the condition that the permit shall expire and the rights of the owner under the permit shall terminate if the work authorized by the permit is not commenced within six (6) months or is not completed within three (3) years of the issuance of a permit.
The Building Official may upon expiration of a building permit, grant renewal permits for a period of twelve (12) months each if he or she is satisfied that the construction is progressing at a reasonable rate.