Kamloops, BC – July 25, 2022 – Environment Canada has issued a Heat Warning due to a heat wave in the forecast from Tuesday to Saturday, which includes all of the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD). This is the first Heat Warning issued for the Southern Interior in 2022, and the TNRD is urging residents to take precautions during hotter-than-normal weather conditions.
Beginning on Tuesday, July 26, 2022, bottled water will be distributed to libraries in the Thompson-Nicola region, and will be available at all libraries by Thursday, July 28, 2022. All 11 TNRD libraries are air-conditioned, and residents are encouraged to access their local library if they need relief from the heat. Free Wi-Fi is available at all libraries as well. A full list of locations and hours can be found by visiting www.tnrl.ca/locations.
Please note that the Ashcroft Library remains closed for renovations, and during this time extended hours remain in place at the Cache Creek Library.
A number of municipalities within the TNRD have set up cooling centres in air-conditioned public facilities. The list of cooling centres that are available includes, but may not be limited to, the following:
- City of Kamloops: Tuesday, July 26, 2022 to end of heat event: 12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 300 Lorne St, Kamloops, B.C. (Sandman Centre)
- Village of Ashcroft: Tuesday, July 26 to Friday, July 29, 2022: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., 711 Hill St, Ashcroft, B.C. (Ashcroft Hub)
- Village of Clinton: Tuesday, July 26 to Friday, July 29, 2022: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., 1423 Cariboo Hwy, Clinton, B.C. (Clinton Village Office, Council Chambers)
- Village of Chase: Tuesday, July 26, 2022 to end of heat event: 12 p.m. to 7 p.m., 542 Shuswap Ave, Chase, B.C. (Creekside Seniors Centre)
- City of Merritt: Tuesday, July 26, to Friday, July 29, 2022: 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., 1950 Mamette Ave, Merritt B.C. (Merritt Civic Centre, Room 4)
- District of Barriere: Wednesday, July 27 to Friday, July 29, 2022: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 4673 Shaver Rd, Barriere, B.C. (Barriere Legion Basement)
- District of Clearwater: Wednesday, July 27 to Friday, July 29, 2022: 12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 209 Dutch Lake Rd, Clearwater, B.C. (Dutch Lake Community Centre)
Please refer to the following resources for how to stay safe and informed during a heat wave:
- Heat Warning Guidance (Interior Health)
- Be Prepared for Extreme Heat (PreparedBC)
- Public Weather Alerts (Environment Canada)
Colton Davies, Information Officer
TNRD Emergency Operations Centre
Tel.: 250 320-0805