Kamloops, BC—May 20, 2021—the Thompson-Nicola Regional District is pleased to announce the arrival of a newer fire truck for the Tobiano Fire Department (TFD). The $160,000 truck is a 2007 E-ONE International Pumper purchased from Rocky Mountain Phoenix, and will replace the TFD’s 27 year old pumper truck which has reached the end of its service life.
“The TNRD began looking for opportunities to purchase a suitable replacement truck at a good price back in 2019, a process that can often take considerable time,” said Jason Tomlin, TNRD’s Manager of Fire Protection Services. “Buying a truck like this brand new today would likely cost upwards of $600,000, so it’s excellent value for Tobiano’s fire department.”
The truck will soon have a new place to park, with the location of a new fire hall at Tobiano being agreed on by the TNRD and Diverse Properties Ltd. Details are being worked through, and the intent is to start construction as soon as possible with a target to be completed in 2022. “Diverse Properties is very excited to be part of the process, and is looking forward to seeing the new fire hall operational in 2022,” says Owen Matheson, Diverse Properties Development Manager for Tobiano.
TFD came under TNRD administration in 2019. Since then, a number of improvements have been implemented to enable the fire department to better respond to a wide variety of emergency and non-emergency incidents in the community, such as:
- Compliant firefighter turnout gear (personal protective equipment)
- Firefighter training matrix developed to meet compliance with the British Columbia Structure Firefighter Competency and Training Playbook (PDF)
- High pressure breathing air station installed
- Emergency communication equipment updated
- Electronic records management system implemented to track attendance, training, equipment and dispatched calls
Jason Tomlin, Manager of Fire Protection Services
Thompson-Nicola Regional District