Kamloops, BC—April 18, 2021—A wildfire in the Lower Nicola is impacting properties in both Electoral Areas “M” (Beautiful Nicola Valley – North) and Electoral Area “N” (Beautiful Nicola Valley – South). This fire has prompted an Evacuation Alert of the Miller Estates Subdivision and the Canford Community. Details of the Alerts and the corresponding maps of the affected areas are included with this Release.
In addition to the wildfire in the Lower Nicola, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) is also seeing fire activity in the western part of the Region near 16 Mile, north of Cache Creek. These early wildfires and the current dry conditions are a reminder to remain prepared to respond in the event of an emergency.
At this time, this is not an Evacuation Order, it is an Alert to ensure that residents can make preparations in case it becomes necessary to evacuate. Residents on Evacuation Alert will be given as much advance notice as possible should evacuation be required; however, residents may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN ALERT IS IN EFFECT
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the evacuation order by:
- Having a plan to transport all family members or co-workers outside of the area, should the area be brought under evacuation order.
- Keeping essential items readily available for a quick departure; including medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc).
- Ensuring that any dependents are prepared for departure.
- Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
- Ensuring that you have accommodation options for your family, if possible. A Reception Centre will be made available if required.
- Monitoring reliable news sources for information on evacuation orders and locations of Reception Centres and the TNRD’s channels on Facebook and tnrd.ca.
Residents are encouraged to register for the Thompson-Nicola Emergency Notification System to receive a text, call or email regarding Evacuation Alerts and Orders in the Regional District.
Registration for the service is FREE, simple and totally anonymous.
- For mobile app alerts, download and install the Voyent Alert! app from the Apple or Google Play stores
- For email, text message, or voice call alerts, register online at https://register.voyent-alert.com
Information regarding Alerts, Evacuation Orders and Emergency Preparedness can be found on the tnrd.ca website on the Emergency Services page.
TNRD Emergency Operations Centre