Zoning Bylaw


The principal tool local government uses to regulate land use is a zoning bylaw. In the TNRD we have one bylaw, Zoning Bylaw No. 2400, that applies to the entirety of the regional district electoral areas. See link below to get to the Zoning bylaw and the one page FAQ that explains how to determine your property zoning.

An application to change or “amend” Zoning Bylaw No. 2400 can:

  1. Rezone land from one zone to another (e.g. from residential to industrial zones)
  2. Create an exception on a site specific basis to allow a specific use
  3. Change lot area to enable a subdivision

Public Process & Hearing

Under the Local Government Act, adopting land use bylaws such as zoning requires a public consultation or notification process. This may involve the following:

  • Notices on our website and/or public notice boards
  • Ads in a local newspaper
  • If the bylaw is a localized rezoning, then a notification sign is erected on a parcel of land and a notice is mailed to all owner/occupiers of properties within a 100 metre radius
  • A public hearing

See the FAQ Sheet below for information on how to prepare for a hearing and what to expect: 

Sign up for the TNRD mailing list

Subscribe to get the latest regional news and updates delivered straight to your inbox. Opt in or out anytime.

Scroll to Top