There are no bylaws allowing mosquito control staff to enter private property or to require that residents maintain their pools.
Mosquitoes are attracted by body odour, perspiration, heat, light, and carbon dioxide.
Only female mosquitoes bite and they use the blood to obtain protein for egg development.
People become infected with WNv when they are bit by an infected mosquito.
The chances of getting WNv are very low. Approximately 80% of people infected with WNv will not get sick at all; the remaining 20% will experience flu-like symptoms (fatigue, fever, headache, body aches) that last about a week or less. In very rare cases (less than 1%), infected people can develop encephalitis, inflammation of the brain, or meningitis, inflammation of the lining of the brain, which can result in death.
No. There have been cases of horses, birds, cats, chipmunks, domestic rabbits, squirrels, and skunks being infected by WNv. These animals cannot infect other animals or humans.
West Nile virus can infect domestic dogs and cats, however, these infections very rarely develop into serious illness. These animals usually fully recover without treatment and usually show no symptoms whatsoever.
- Domestic birds such as parrots can be infected and may become very ill or die from the virus.
- Horses are the most susceptible domestic animals to serious West Nile virus illness and up to 40% of infected horses will die. There is a vaccine available for horses.
- All domestic animals acquire the virus through the bite of a mosquito and none are able to pass on the virus to other animals or humans once they are infected. Please contact your local veterinarian for more information about protecting domestic animals from West Nile virus infection.
No. Mosquito larvae require standing water to develop. Adult mosquitoes (the biting stage) will hide in long grasses and brush to avoid the sun and will emerge in the morning and evening to bite when it is cool.