An Evacuation Alert has been issued by the Thompson-Nicola Regional District Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), effective as of August 1, 2022 at 7 pm, due to the Watching Creek wildfire.
The wildfire near Watching Creek in Electoral Area “J” (Copper Desert Country) poses a threat to life and property in the following areas:
- Northwest edge of the Lac Du Bois Grasslands Protected Area, and east including Pass Lake, McQueen Lake, and Isobel Lake, as outlined on the attached map.
There are a number of properties in the area, including one civic address (the McQueen Lake Environmental Education Centre).
This Evacuation Alert is in place to prepare you to evacuate your premises or property should it be found necessary. Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to an Evacuation Order; however, you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
What You Should Do:
- Locate all family members and designate a meeting area outside the evacuation area, should an Evacuation Order be issued while separated.
- Pack essential items such as government-issued ID, medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (e.g. insurance, credit, and mortgage information), immediate care needs for dependents or pets, and, if time and space permits, keepsakes for quick departure.
- Make arrangements to stay with family or friends (if possible).
- Prepare to move disabled persons, children and/or neighbours, if assistance is needed.
- Prepare to take pets with you and move livestock to a safe area (if possible).
- Arrange transportation for all your household Fill the gas tanks of personal vehicles.
- Arrange accommodation for all members of the residence, if possible.
- Monitor for information on a potential Evacuation Order and location of Reception Centres.
TNRD Emergency Operations Centre
Phone: 250 377-7188
Toll Free: 1-866-377-7188