Thompson-Nicola Regional District
Thompson Regional Hospital District
Budget 2017 Highlights
- Provides funding for 123 individual services, from small local services to region wide
- Invests more than $20 million in public safety, including $6.8 million in fire protection to rural communities over the five years
- Invests over $12.7 million dollars over five years into 11 drinking water and 5 wastewater utility services, including $1.4 million for a new water source for Black Pines and $1.9 million for new reservoir for Savona in 2017
- The above 2017 capital projects leverage over $2 million in grant funding
- Allows for additional expenses for solid waste management services in western TNRD due to closure of the privately owned Cache Creek landfill
- $8.8 million in continued funding for TNRD Public Library system in 2017, and greater than $41 million over the five years
- The above includes purchase of completely new bookmobile replacement at a cost of approximately $500,000 as well as updates to the Victoria Street public library branch with a budget of approximately $350,000
- Invests over $2 million into community parks and over $3.0 million into community halls and other recreation facilities throughout the TNRD over the five years
The Local Government Act states that "a regional district must have a financial plan that is adopted annually, by bylaw, by March 31. The planning period for a financial plan is 5 years, that period being the year in which the plan is specified to come into force and the following 4 years.
The preparation of the financial plan begins in the fall of each year and a provisional financial plan is presented to the Board of Directors at that time. The financial plan incorporates requests from Directors and service committees, any new services as well as staff estimates of funding amounts required to maintain current service levels. The final Financial Plan is then presented in March and adopted before the deadline of March 31.
We want your feedback!
The finance department conducts public budget consultation in conjunction with other service related meetings throughout the year at various locations in the Regional District.
The Regional District encourages input from taxpayers from either the electoral areas or the member municipalities on the Financial Plan. You will find an input form here that you can mail, fax or email to the TNRD; or simply click here to fill out an online form.